Sunday, August 12, 2012

Simple tradition on a hot summer's day.


Nova Scotians, Maritmers, we are a sea people. I love this part of our collective character but my house, however, is about as far away from the ocean as you can get in this province. Granted that isn’t very far considering the tell tale salt residue left by the fog on my windows. So it is a farming heritage that flows through my veins; a people who worked the land not the sea. In this tradition the largest meal of the day was dinner time, noon.  Supper was a lighter and easier meal at the end of the day. I would argue this to be a better way to eat though our lives are no longer always organized to allow for this. It is at this time of year that I am reminded of simpler suppers. Growing up it was a given that as soon as the wax beans were ripe and ready to be picked - that was supper. Just a plate full of delicious, fresh harvest dripping in butter to feed the body and the soul. It is a tradition that I have continued. There is nothing more satisfying than a simple pleasure steeped in tradition.  My own beans are not quite ready yet but I have been enjoying the bounty from the farmers market. So the next time you can’t think of what to make on these glorious hot days, keep it simple. Make it tradition. For those who are unable to enjoy the pleasure of butter, try drizzling your beans with cold pressed olive oil and a pinch of celtic sea salt. Thinly sliced local garlic would be divine as well. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Bella,
    that is one of our favourite suppers too! Maybe a biscuit with it :)
    A great blog, thank you for sharing your comments on nutrition and health. All the best with your venture!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete